By Onan Coca
Why is the mainstream media constantly trying to drive fear into the hearts of the American people?
Countless media reports (see here, here, and here for a few examples) have been claiming that the shooting in Florida was the 18th school shooting of 2018, implying that we were undergoing some kind of “gun crisis” in our schools.
Thankfully, the media is again lying to us, attempting to gin up an extra level (unnecessarily) of terror within our populace. There have not been 17 other events like the one at Douglas High School. No, there has only been one other such shooting; on January 31st at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky two people were killed, and 15 others shot when a 15-year old student opened fire on a crowd of students.
The Daily Wire has information on all of the other supposed “school shootings”:
- 2: On 2 occasions someone committed suicide on school grounds.
- 4: 4 times a bullet was fired through a school or dorm window. On none of these occasions was anyone injured.
- 2: On 2 other occasions shots were fired on campus. Again, no injuries were reported.
- 2: On 2 other occasions shots were fired inside a school building, once by a child who pulled the trigger on an officer’s gun. No injuries.
- 3: 3 students were injured in separate individual shootings.
- 1: 5 students were injured in an accidental shooting in Los Angeles.
- 1: A football player was shot and killed in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- 1: A 32-year old man was shot and later died after a fight broke out in a Pennsylvania, High School
None of these 17 so-called “instance of shooting” were of the variety we saw in Florida on Wednesday. None of them.
Only the shooting at Marshall County High School comes close to resembling this one, and really it’s the only one that should be considered when we talk of trying to stop such mass shootings.
The media is living by the Democrat motto of “never letting a good crisis go to waste.” They see an opening to attack and undermine the 2nd Amendment and they are attempting to do everything in their power to push our politicians into acting against our rights.
There are other, better ways to stop these mass shootings (like training and arming our school employees or hiring armed security staff for every school)… but the media is focused on disarming law abiding citizens, not stopping school shootings.
And this is the real reason they use fear to drive their reporting.
Republished with permission Constitution.com
Viewpoints expressed herein are of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted or linked therein, and do not necessarily represent those of The Olive Branch Report
Subscribe to my daily newsletter, and join hundreds of daily readers and receive news and relevant commentary
Don't forget to follow The Olive Branch Report on Facebook and Twitter. Now available on your Amazon Kindle Device. Please help spread the word about us, share our articles on your favorite social networks.
If you value what you see on The Olive, please consider donating, any amount helps. We derive NO revenue from this site, and upkeep is expensive.
Onan is the Editor-in-Chief at Liberty Alliance media group. He’s also the managing editor at Eaglerising.com, Constitution.com and the managing partner at iPatriot.com. You can read more of his writing at Eagle Rising.
Onan is a graduate of Liberty University (2003) and earned his M.Ed. at Western Governors University in 2012. Onan lives in Atlanta with his wife and their three wonderful children.