Yesterday, after briefly describing America’s economic progress since his inauguration, President Trump announced that the United States is out of the 2015 Paris Climate (Change) Accord.
He said (beg. at the 3:13 mark of video below):
“I am fighting every day for the great people of this country. Therefore, in order to fulfill my solemn duty to protect America and its citizens, the United States will withdraw from the Paris Climate Accord … but begin negotiations to reenter either the Paris Accord or a really entirely new transaction on terms that are fair to the United States, its businesses, its workers, its people, its taxpayers…we will see if we can make a deal that’s fair. And if we can, that’s great. And if we can’t, that’s fine….
Thus, as of today, the United States will cease all implementation of the non-binding Paris Accord and the draconian financial and economic burdens the agreement imposes on our country. This includes ending the implementation of the nationally determined contribution and, very importantly, the Green Climate Fund which is costing the United States a vast fortune.“
These are the reasons given by President Trump for pulling the U.S. out of the Accord (read his full speech here). Simply put the Paris Climate Accord is:
- Bad for America: In Trump’s words, the agreement “disadvantages the United States to the exclusive benefit of other countries, leaving American workers — whom I love — and taxpayers to absorb the cost in terms of lost jobs, lower wages, shuttered factories, and vastly diminished economic production”. According to the National Economic Research Associates, compliance with the terms of the Paris Accord could cost America:
- 2.7 million lost jobs by 2025, including 440,000 fewer manufacturing jobs.
- By 2040, $3 trillion in lost GDP, 6.5 million industrial jobs, $7,000 less income (or worse) for U.S. households, and cut production for the following sectors: paper down 12%; cement down 23%; iron and steel down 38%; coal down 86%; natural gas down 31%.
- Unfair, in that the Accord punishes the U.S. but does nothing about the world’s leading polluters:
- China will be able to increase their emissions by 13 years. India makes its participation “contingent on receiving billions and billions and billions of dollars in foreign aid from developed countries.”
- U.S. must get rid of our coal plants, but not Europe, China, or India. In India’s case, its coal production will be allowed to double by 2020. “In short, the agreement doesn’t eliminate coal jobs, it just transfers those jobs out of America and the United States, and ships them to foreign countries.”
- A massive redistribution of U.S. wealth to other countries.
- Ineffective: “Even if the Paris Agreement were implemented in full, with total compliance from all nations, it is estimated it would only produce a two-tenths of one degree…Celsius reduction in global temperature by the year 2100…. In fact, 14 days of carbon emissions from China alone would…totally wipe out the gains from America’s expected reductions in the year 2030, after we have had to spend billions and billions of dollars, lost jobs, closed factories, and suffered much higher energy costs for our businesses and for our homes.”
In other words, the Paris Climate Accord is destructive of America’s economy, unfair, a socialist wealth redistribution in disguise, and ineffectual in actually lowering global temperature. So why would America, unless we were really stupid and self-destructive, want to be a part of this Accord?
And if we are judged by the enemies we have, then Trump’s decision to pull the U.S. from the Paris agreement is a wise one, as the heads of anti-America Hollyweirdos and other globalists explode at the news. See “President Trump nixes Paris Climate Agreement; Hollyweird libtards’ & globalists’ heads explode“.
- If Earth is warming, why is Arctic sea ice as thick as in 1940?
- Proposed UN Tribunal of Climate Justice threatens U.S. sovereignty, while Antarctica ice is increasing, not melting
- Third World countries want more than $10oB a year as ‘climate change’ reparations
- Bill Gates says only socialism can save world from climate change
- Catholic Church: New Priests Will be Expected to Preach Global Warming
- Secretary of State John Kerry: The Bible commands us to confront ‘climate change’ and especially protect Muslims
- Thought Crime: 17 Democratic attorney generals go after climate-change deniers
- Portland public schools ban books doubting climate change
Republished with permission Fellowship of the Minds
Viewpoints expressed herein are of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted or linked therein, and do not necessarily represent those of The Olive Branch Report
Subscribe to my daily newsletter, and join hundreds of daily readers and receive news and relevant commentary
Don't forget to follow The Olive Branch Report on Facebook and Twitter. Now available on your Amazon Kindle Device. Please help spread the word about us, share our articles on your favorite social networks.
If you value what you see on The Olive, please consider donating, any amount helps. We derive NO revenue from this site, and upkeep is expensive.