Source: Washington Post
“In the interest of keeping the consumer protections we have enacted and ensuring that we keep health insurance costs down for all consumers, we are staying the course,” he said in a statement Thursday afternoon.
Obama said the administration will insist that insurance companies continuing to sell individual health policies that do not comply with the new standards inform consumers about “what protections these renewed plans don’t include” and alert their customers to potentially better and more affordable insurance available through the new federal and state marketplaces.
The White House’s strategy differs from a bill on which the House is to vote on Friday, sponsored by Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), which would let new customers buy such minimal policies, rather than allowing only existing policy-holders to keep them for an additional year.
Insurers said Thursday that while they appreciated Obama’s effort to address consumers’ concerns, they remained concerned that the move could distort the risk pool in the new state and federal health-insurance marketplaces.
“Changing the rules after health plans have already met the requirements of the law could destabilize the market and result in higher premiums for consumers,” said Karen Ignani, president and chief executive of America’s Health Insurance Plans. “Premiums have already been set for next year based on an assumption of when consumers will be transitioning to the new marketplace. If now fewer younger and healthier people choose to purchase coverage in the exchange, premiums will increase and there will be fewer choices for consumers.”
While Obama defended his administration’s efforts to fix the problems that have plagued the health-care law’s implementation, he acknowledged that the last few weeks have been rocky.
“I think it’s fair to say that the rollout has been rough so far,” Obama said, referring to the troubled debut of HealthCare.gov, the Web site for the new federal health-insurance exchange. He added that the Web site “has gotten a lot better” but work remains to be done.
“We fumbled the rollout of this health-care law,” Obama said. Regarding the policy cancellation issue, which contradicted his repeated promises that people would be able to keep insurance plans they liked, Obama said, “That’s on me. . . . That’s something I deeply regret because it’s scary getting a cancellation notice.”
Obama described both the cancellations on the individual market and the Web site rollout as significant problems, but he said the law’s implementation could still turn out well.
“These are two fumbles . . . on a big game — but the game’s not over,” he said. He vowed that the nation would not return to what he called the broken health-care system that existed before the Affordable Care Act.
“I was not informed directly that the Web site would not be working the way it was supposed to,” he said of the problems that were plaguing HealthCare.gov before its debut.
“I don’t think I’m stupid enough to go around saying, this is going to be like shopping on Amazon or Travelocity, a week before the Web site opens, if I thought that it wasn’t going to work,” he said.
Even as Obama outlined his administrative fix, he said he would continue to press ahead with the controversial health-care law.
“It is important to understand, though, that the old individual market was not working well,” he said “And it’s important that we don’t pretend that somehow that’s a place worth going back to. Too often it works fine as long as you stay healthy. It doesn’t work well when you’re sick.”
Obama said, “I will not accept proposals that are just another brazen attempt to undermine or repeal the overall law and drag us back into a broken system.”
“I’m not going to walk away from 40 million people who have the chance to get health insurance for the first time, and I’m not going to walk away from something that has helped the cost of health care grow at its slowest rate in 50 years,” he said.
When asked whether HealthCare.gov would be fully fixed by the end of the month, the president was careful not to promise that would happen by Nov. 30.
“It’s fair to say that the improvement will be marked and noticeable,” said, adding that “the Web site will work much better” than it did when it was launched on Oct. 1.
“On . . . November 30th, it will be a lot better. But there will still be some problems,” he added.
While Jeffrey Zients, the White House official in charge of fixing the online enrollment system, has said the site would work “smoothly” for “the vast majority of users” by the end of the month, Obama said that “the majority of people who go to the site” will have a good experience.
[button color=”blue” size=”medium” link=”http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obamato-to-announce-change-to-address-health-insurance-cancellations/2013/11/14/3be49d24-4d37-11e3-9890-a1e0997fb0c0_story.html” target=”blank” ]Read More>>>[/button]
If you like The Olive, then consider helping us to continue the fight against liberalism, political correctness, and the removal of God in this country. Our costs are considerable, and NO one is paid on this site. Please donate today - any amount helps.
Don't forget to follow The Olive Branch Report on Facebook and Twitter. Now available on your Amazon Kindle Device. Please help spread the word about us, share our articles on your favorite social networks.
Viewpoints expressed herein are of the article’s author(s), or of the person(s) or organization(s) quoted or linked therein, and do not necessarily represent those of The Olive Branch Report